Monday, April 8, 2013

What An Amazing Ride . . .

Today, I went to an audition for a short play festival.  I was in this short play festival last year, but going into the audition was completely different than it was last year.  This time, just about everyone there knows me, and I didn't feel out of place or out of my league.  I walk into this theatre feeling like I was going to give it my all, convinced that I would still get nothing for my efforts.  I was comfortable.

I still believe that if I go out and audition again, looking for good and interesting roles, I will be disappointed. I still believe that racial bias in casting is very much there, and I will be turned away repeatedly because of my brown skin.  I still believe I will be given five minute "guy standing in the back" roles.  But right this moment, I'm coming off a high.  Right this moment, I know I have proven myself.  I know that I'm actually good.

In the fall of 2012, I went to two auditions.  One was for a staged reading of "8".  I got a very small part, but the play had me intrigued and I wanted to work with the director.  The other was for the play "The Last Days of Judas Iscariot".  This was a huge part in a challenging play.  The cast was phenomenal, and I knew that I could not "phone in" this performance.  This part actually intimidated me.

And I pulled it off.  I was good.  I was REALLY good.  And I was part of something REALLY good.  This was one of the best plays I've ever been in.

Can I act?  Can I carry a large, demanding part?  Can I rise to the occasion, challenge others as they challenge me?  Can I hold the stage?  I did it all.  I was given a chance, and I took it, and I am very proud of my work.

Maybe I'll never get an opportunity like that again, but at least I had the opportunity that time.  For three weeks, I was a star.  I intend to still hold on to my rule to not take a part that I don't find interesting.  I haven't been auditioning, mainly because I want to hold on to this feeling that I am finally accepted by the theatre community, even if it's just an illusion . . . I don't want to come crashing down and finding that, even after proving myself with this role, I still can't get parts.  But I need to do more, and this short play festival is a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment